When the concept of insanity was brought into the story, I believe it was when Sybil realized there was someone else in the room right above her and grew crazy with curiosity about who the person above her could be. Also, although Sybil and her mother never knew that they were in the room above/below each other, they had this connection knowing what the other was going through and almost wanted to save each other.
In terms of the concept of insanity altering my reception of the message, I remember growing frantic just reading and thinking about how awful it would be to be locked in a room by yourself with three of the biggest stiffs to ever walk the Earth being the ones "taking care of you."
If anything, the story didn't really change my perception of the mother/daughter relationship in the 19th century readings. I guess it was just completely different from the other stories.
Again, sorry I'm at a loss of words of what the right interpretation of all the questions is.
I agree that the questions were slightly difficult to answer because they could be seen in arious different ways...all of them. I liek what you wrote about Sybil and her mother adn the underlying connection that the two of them had with one another.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you about not knowing what to say. I ended up talking forever around the prompt hehe. Ya I really wasn't even sure that Sybil went crazy, however we knew her mom did. The mother/daughter relationship didn't change for me either. It definitely was very different from past readings though.
ReplyDelete