Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Tom Sawyer

I remember reading Tom Sawyer and thinking, "Dang, I wish I was a kid again..." I was never a country boy that thought a good time was tricking people for my benefit, but I definitely was the same kid that found whatever kind of trouble I could get into and had fun with it.

Boyhood is a very apparent theme in this. In the first 15-20 pages alone, Tom gets himself into just about every common situation a troublesome boy would find. He pisses off his guardian, gets grounded on a weekend, picks a fight with a stranger, and dwells in the fact that he's not having fun with his friends. What I found kind of interesting is how clever Tom was. It's not very common for kids his age to be clever enough to make work seem interesting. He made a groundbreaking discovery for someone his age to know when "He had discovered a great law of human action, without knowing it- namely, that in order to make a man or a boy covet a thing, it is only necessary to make the thing difficult to attain." (331)

I think that's what makes Tom Sawyer such a good story; you'd almost think that Bart Simpson himself was made up after Tom Sawyer.

3 comments:

  1. I thought the same thing when i was reading Tom Sawyer, its truly amazing how clever he is. I had not thought to compare him to Bart Simpson but he is alot like that. great comparison!
    You almost want to be a kid again so you can pull schemes like he did in the story and just have fun again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya, I always miss being a child. And I agree that Tom was very clever for his age. He's like a man child lol. NIce comparison between Bart Simpson and Tom, I never would have thought of it! hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Bart Simpson comparison! But I disagree on the fact you don't think kids his age are clever! I have a nine year old nephew and I have to be on my A-Game or he'll definitely try to trick me!

    ReplyDelete