So... You can imagine my deep disappointment in Old Hurricane when he turned away Traverse and his poor mother away from his life and house and you can imagine my deep sorrow for Marah when she found out she wouldn't be able to live with him. I don't know if the end of the story was the end of the actual novel, but if so then whoever wrote that book had sole intentions of depressing people.
Wednesday, September 30, 2009
The Hidden Hand
Throughout the course of this story, I really liked reading about one of my favorite things in life- people helping people. That's exactly what my motto is in life is that people should love and help each other. So, it really pleased me to watch a bitter old man who seemed selfish and self-righteous at first end up tending to a poor little girl in New York and taking her under his wing and all of the nice things he did for her. I couldn't have felt happier for Capitol, especially when Old Hurricane bought her a pony. I enjoyed it even more when Herbert told Traverse and his poor mother that all of their grief and hard times were forever over. The entire time I was reading I even thought, "this is what I want to do with my life, help people much less fortunate than me."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I also know what you mean by saying how good it is for people to help others. I also admire Old Hurricane for taking Capitola under his wing, as well as initially offering help to Marah Rocke, before knowing who it was. It is a disappointment that he takes that offer back, but it makes me want to read the rest of the story to find out if he is indeed changed.
ReplyDeleteI like how you focused on people helping others in these stories we've read! It really is a big part of each of these novels as these main characters are taken in and taken care of. I enjoyed reading your post!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed how you focused on the aspect of helping people. Although I noticed that, I was not consciously aware of just how many different instances there were in the book of one character helping another. I liked how you say that Old Hurricane is "selfish and self righteous" and yet able to do the right thing when it come to helping Capitola. I too was deeply disappointed when Old Hurricane turned away marah Rocke and her son. I was really looking forward to seeing his good will continue. Great blog!
ReplyDeleteI like how you talked about connecting the events in the book to your own beliefs. I can't believe he turned her down either, it was starting to look like Old Hurricane had changed.
ReplyDeleteBecause I have thought so much on the theme of children growing up, I completely forgot about the aspect shown of people helping other people. It is so true that in all the stories we have read there is always some character who comes in to help the child. I really liked this because it definitely is something people should think about and do more often. Thanks for bringing it up!
ReplyDelete